Refreshing the living room

May 20, 2012

I’ve been making some changes to the living room over the past year or so and I am really loving how it’s coming along. I know living rooms are typically more “fancy,” but I don’t really want fancy in our house. It’s a big, open room so we spend quite a bit of time out there. The Bub plays in the living room more than he does any other room downstairs, so it needs to be comfy. Even though I don’t want fancy, I do like this space to have a little flair.

As some of you know, we got new hardwoods last fall, courtesy of a fridge leak and great insurance. (It so would not have happened otherwise.)

The floors made a HUGE difference in that space, but I’ve really wanted a rug all this time. I’ve been looking for MONTHS and I finally found the right one. I started with a cream rug back in January from World Market, and I loved it – but once I put it down I knew it was too small (6.9 by 9.6 I think). And the day I got it, a visitor came in with shoes on and I had some major sweats. I didn’t want to live worrying about the dirt that would show.

So it went back, and the floor has been bare again. :) I decided I wanted to go with a natural material like a jute, because it would hold up well and I love the look of them. But it was the feel I was worried about, so I researched a TON, read a lot of reviews and tested a few out in the stores.

And then I waited for a sale. ;)

Last week I got the ONE:Pottery Barn Two Tone Diamond Jute Rug

I went with the 8 by 10 size and it was on sale for just over $400 – one of the best deals I’ve found!

I loved that it was the natural look, but had two different colors and had just a slight design to it:

I was afraid a full jute rug would be the exact same color as our sofa and wash everything out, so when I got home with this one I realized it was a good call:

I have a very confusing relationship with that couch – I love that it’s nice and deep and the cushions are oh-so-comfy. I struggle big time with the color and the fabric. I would have had it recovered by now, the the back cushions are sewed on. NICE. I may still do it, I just need to check out my options.

AnyHOO…lately, I’ve decided to just work with the color, not against it. And that’s another reason I really, really like this rug. It pulls in the color of the couch and makes it not stand out as much.

It’s way softer than sisal, and softer than most jute rugs I’ve looked at. It’s not baby butt soft or anything, but it’s not bad at all to sit on (which is good for the kiddo):

pottery barn jute rug

And it’s like a little foot massage when you walk on it. :)

I love that keeps this room from getting too serious – the fringe on the ends helps with that:

large nail head trim chair

The 8 by 10 size is perfect for this space – at first I had it running the opposite way, and it wasn’t right. It’s amazing how switching the direction of your rug can make a HUGE difference in a room! Try it. ;)

I like that it goes under the sofa just a bit:

pottery barn jute rug

You can see I don’t accessorize our coffee tables. (This one is from Garden Ridge.) Around here, a flat surface is a Lego surface, so really, there’s no point. :)

I put it under the sofa a bit because I didn’t want the rug to go under the desk chair on the other side of the room:

cream desk homegoods

I don’t think I’ve shown you this desk yet! I got it about a year ago at HomeGoods and luuuuurve it. It’s such a pretty little piece. I have a plan to change it up a bit, but I’ve had that plan for almost a year now and it hasn’t happened yet soooooo, I’m showing you the desk. ;)

For years, a chair that went with the sofa sat in that corner. Lately I’ve wanted to try and create more “vignettes” in this space – it’s a big room with soaring ceilings and it didn’t feel cozy to me before. Now it feels so much warmer – I adore this desk and how different it makes the space look!:

desk by window I did a tiny bit of rearranging by moving the round table over in the corner:

For no other reason than I just wanted to move something around. ;) I never move furniture in our house, so even a little table feels like I did something BIG.     

So this space is one of my favorite before and afters. Early on it looked like this:

We really loved it at the time, just like everything in this house. I love (most) changes every step of the way, but it sure is fun to see how different the same room looks years later:

A couple of winters ago I started the process by adding new window treatments (that I made myself) and adding a dresser (that was in the Bub’s nursery) to brighten it up a bit:

And now it’s really come together:

jute rug living room

It’s taken a few years of waiting for the right pieces and I’m SO glad I've been patient. Sometimes it’s a good thing it takes me forever and a day to do anything.

There’s still a BIG project I want to work on next, and it involves the walls. And ladders. OH MY.

I think picking out a rug is one of the hardest decorating choices, hands down. Do you? Part of it is the cost issue, but it’s also because they make a HUGE statement in a room!

**You can see how I made the terrariums on the desk here.
**Check out the DIY Pottery Barn pillows on the cheap here.
**And more about the bookcase here

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Love the new rug (and the whole room!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the changes you made. The room looks very sophisticated but livable. Glad your patience payed off

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new rug, and I think the curtains look great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I LOVE it!! So fresh looking. I love the before and afters too!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new rug. I have seen that one also and just can't bite the bullet! I really need one for our dining room and this post doesn't help me "stay on budget" :) hehe! Your entire room looks great. I like the comfy looking couch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the space. It looks so comfortable and effortless even though you've been waiting years to piece it all together. It looks lovely. The rug looks fabulous as well and super comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really DON'T love your sofa's color? I know it's different when you live with your own stuff, but I'm in love with it! I wouldn't change a thing about it-- it's so awesome.

    But, you know, I don't live in your house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your updated living room is BEAUTIFUL. I really love it. I'm a rare commenter, but I just had to make sure you knew how great it was! And, I'm with you, living rooms should look LIVED in. Not worn, but comfy and real. I love to decorate, but I just don't understand the stiff and stuffy look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love how this room has slowly transformed, Sarah!! The rug is gorgeous. Great find. =)

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, it's beautiful, I love that desk and every time you show those curtains I fall in love again. Beautiful but approachable room, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great room! I'm
    Always stuck on curtains, and love your pattern. Can you share where you found or made those?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like how your room has evolved! The new rug is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. evolution is such a good thing as your space has looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the changes. It amazing how a few minor changes can brighten a room, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How annoying is it when people where their shoes in your house? No manners. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah!! I just love that room. It is so nicely put together without being fussy. And I laughed about the coffee table b/c ours is the same way except for it's covered with laundry, Barbies, or My Little Ponies on any given day. ;)

    I love the updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the changes! I too, have a sofa almost EXACTLY like yours. Right down to the sewed on cushions! And I want to recover it, but what to do? I unzip and plump them, and move the pillow around inside, but reupholstering is not in the budget and slipcovers are not made for this style. Hmm,.....think I'll wait and watch what you do.......suggestions are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning! I feel like the new look is so you! Or at least the way I've perceived your taste to be lately :-) And that DESK! I've been dying to find a piece like that for our entry way! I've been saving up to get the hemnes ikea sofa table for it but I love that desk! Is it as high as a sofa table normally is? I wonder if it would work for my space. How much was it if you don't mind my asking? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE that new rug!! I bet it feels great under your feet... and I love the transformation the room has taken!! It's looks great!! ~Bre

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful, fresh and summery feel to the room. Love the rug but I get all OCD over fringed edges so I try to avoid them... Yes, you could say I have a problem. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOOHHH SOOO PRETTY! Great daring choice on the curtains! I would love to know where you got your lamps?

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always, I love your decorating style. This room is beautiful, inviting, and best of all totally useable! I have been looking for mirrors like the ones you have above your desk, but can't find them anywhere! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I Love how this room looks. It helps remind me to be patient and wait for pieces I love and when I can afford it. You have me in Love with this room. Thanks for sharing the progress too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your living room is pretty. It's fresh and bright. The rug fits nicely. You did it right by fitting it underneath the sofa's front feet. The little desk area looks cozy too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks great! I was having problems liking my sofa after I did some redecorating. I found and fell in love with Shabby Chic (cotton duck) slipcovers at Target. I think your room has a shabby chic vibe, check them out. I think they would look great with your other decor. I got an off white color, I think its called khaki, but there are a few colors to choose from. http://www.target.com/p/Simply-Shabby-Chic-Cotton-Duck-Chair-S/-/A-11239611 Here is the link to the chair, I can't find the sofa online anymore, but it may be in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! That's an amazing transformation from before to after! The room looks so bright, clean, happy, and balanced. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You CAN recover your couch, although I think the room looks just fabulous as-is:) I have a loveseat that had attached back cushions. I simply used a seam ripper to separate them from the back, and made a slipcover for the frame, and then separate covers for the cushions, just like you would with a loose back sofa. I debated patching the backs of the cushions and the place they were attached to the frame frame before slipping them, but why make more work for myself? It looks great and I get tons of compliments, and it's comfy to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is gorgeous! And I am still madly in love with those drapes!! I have been drape-less for the two years we rented (didn't want to put the money into drapes that probably wouldn't work in our new house) and I CANNOT WAIT to have curtains again!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a difference! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. that rug is awesome!! I love the jute. We have nasty rental carpets that we obviously can't do anything about and I'd love to cover them with a rug. Sigh. Someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome new rug. I love, love that desk. The old room was good but the newest design is more bright.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely Design, and Rugs on floor make more beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fun to watch how your style evolves and the room evolves with it. I totally dig the new look! What a wonderful light space and the colors work like magic in there.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Italian CenterpiecesMay 23, 2012 at 5:19 AM

    You have a very refreshing living room! Not just the rugs but the whole arrangements of your house are what makes your house classically nice!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hear you on the rug dilemma. Oy!
    I came up with a solution when I had a vision in the shower and decided to glue two ikea rugs together. I've had it in my home for a while now and I still LOVE it:)

    Love your rug too! Mia

    http://meandjilly.blogspot.com/2012/03/rug-problem-solved.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the sofa color and think the new rug and window treatments look great!!! I can't wait to see the new paint color!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just beautiful! Great job updating and brightening the room. It's so cozy!

    Nikki @ProjectHome

    ReplyDelete
  38. This room is lovely! I love all the choices you've made. It looks so fresh, and comfortable. It's an inspiration to jump start projects around my home.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi! What a cozy room. Thanks for sharing so many of it's incarnations. I think when you live in a space and continually update the decor, the transformation is so organic and lovely. I absolutely love your desk area.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your room looks stunning. I adore the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Could you tell me the color of paint on the walls?! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lace, that color is called Beechwood Gray from Porter Paints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Where is the rug from? I've been looking for 2 years. That may be the one!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!